Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Ugly Side Of Sharing

It seems the time has come for me to write a post about use of content on my blog.  

This morning I received an email tip that another website was using a photo of my work without my permission. This website belonged to a bakery in another state and had some of my work featured without credit to me. This is misleading to clients because it looks as though it is their own work.

I emailed the website and asked that they remove my photo. I was greeted with a very nasty email from what I presume was the owner. She insulted my intelligence and indicated that it was OK to use the photo because there was a disclaimer about it not being their work.
I returned to the site where there was, in very small print, a mention that they use photos from other bakers to inspire their clients.
This, however, did not make amends in my book. (I've still insisted on them removing my work)

I spend countless hours not to mention my own money making the items I feature on this blog. At this time, I do not have sponsors for my posts so my work is paid for out of my own pocket. Yes, I do have some paying clients and I sell my cupcake toppers on Etsy, but that income does not compensate for all of the dedication I've put into this blog and creative passion of mine.
For some other bakery to use my photo, my creation, and mislead clients into believing its their work (lets face it, what clients really read that fine print...not to mention, there wasn't credit given to me if they had!) they are profiting off of my hard work.
This is not acceptable.

I hope that you visit my blog, Twitter and Facebook page and find inspiration. Maybe even order some items from me too! However, if you are inspired, create your own work, your own version of it.  Do not steal my content and my photos that I painstakingly take the time to create.

With that said, I love my readers, I hope you enjoy my content. If you would like to feature my work on your own blog or website, I will consider it on a case by case basis and only if proper credit is given. Please contact me at fairytalefrosting at gmail dot com before posting on your site. (the email address is spelled out to reduce spammers)
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Sorry that happened to you. :( I worry that people are stealing my pics too. Someone I was friends w/ on FB was also on Pinterest and she pinned a photo that I'd posted earlier in the day on FB. She didn't give me credit at all, didn't ask my permission and left the gate open for other people to pin it. She did apologize and removed it, but I was pretty mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack. I love Pinterest, but it has caused a whole shift in how we post things. Thats why all my photos now have that darker watermark on it. Im all for sharing but proper credit please!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessy - that really stinks! I agree with you that IF people request to use something, maybe you will consider it if and only if, credit is given to the original source. Kind of blogging or website 101. Shame on them! I think this is an important topic that should be discussed by more people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Seriously I thought it was just common sense....apparently not. Hopefully the more we talk about it the more people will know its not acceptable.

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain, but to be fair (and this is related specifically to the cookies at least) almost every design I've seen on this blog is a direct copy from a popular cookie blogger. It may be your work, but they aren't your ideas or designs. I don't see credit for them, so how does that make you any better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I totally admit to being inspired by other people's work. I also specified in my post above, the following comment: "I hope that you visit my blog, Twitter and Facebook page and find inspiration. Maybe even order some items from me too! However, if you are inspired, create your own work, your own version of it. Do not steal my content and my photos that I painstakingly take the time to create."
      Notice how I said that if you like my work its fine to create your own version of it? I do that too. I think in the creative world its almost impossible to claim an original idea as your own because we are always taking inspiration from things around us. My point was not that they were inspired by my work, or even did, as you say, a direct copy. My point was that they stole MY photo. They didnt put in the work. They took the easy way out and shared something of mine, and masqueraded it as their own. That is the difference.
      Also, I have to admit, I find it interesting you commented as anonymous. Next time own up to your opinions, dont hide behind your computer.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails