Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Mountain Dew and Doritos Cake

My boyfriend David says that I have odd tastes in food. He often thinks that flavor combinations I think sound good, sound awful.  He says that my tastes in food are "bougie".  According to Urban Dictionary, bougie means "anything that is perceived as "upscale" from a blue collar point of view. 'Bougie' (pronounced boo'-she) is a hacked truncation of the word Bourgeoisie, which refers to the middle-class in Europe, but refers to a more affluent class level in the United States." 
So I have to ask, does the combination of Mountain Dew and Doritos...in a cake....sound bougie to you?

Mountain Dew and Doritos Cake

Makes 1, 6 inch 2 layer cake and 12 cupcakes or 24 cupcakes

Cake and/or Cupcakes:
1 box lemon cake mix
1 box lemon pudding mix
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups Mountain Dew
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all ingredients together except Mountain Dew. Once ingredients are combined well, slowly pour in the Mountain Dew.
Pour mix into prepared pan and/or lined cupcake pan
Bake cupcakes for 14-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Bake 6 inch cake for 35 minutes or until aa toothpick comes out clean.
Allow cakes to cool before frosting.

Mountain Dew Buttercream
4 cups powdered sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/8 cup Mountain Dew
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp lime juice

Directions:
Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add in Mountain Dew and juices.  Continue beating until smooth.  If consistency is too thick, add Mountain Dew, 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
If you would like to color your frosting like mine is in the photos, divide the icing into 2 separate bowls, add lime green to one bowl and lemon yellow food coloring to the other. I piped the green swirls on first and topped with yellow.

Top your cupcakes and cake with Nacho Cheese Doritos.  Then, when you taste the awesome flavor combo, accept the fact that you are now, officially, just as bougie as me. Lucky.

13 comments:

  1. You just made my day! I'm making cupcakes to raise money for charity and I work for Frito Lay, maker of Doritos, owned by PepsiCo, maker of Mountain Dew. I can't wait to take these to work. Everyone is going to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to have come across this recipe, I make it a point to get my children to come home at least once a week. This very planned out day involves our dinner menu. We always try to come up with something new, different and of course tasty. This week we are have Dorito Dinner night. Ranch Dorito chicken, Nacho Dorito mac-n-cheese and this cupcake makes the dessert part just perfect. Thank you, we cant wait till dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to say this but opposite of bougie, sounds like something some "high" kids decided to concoct in the absence of real cake ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, its too bad that you didnt read this post with the light hearted fun it was written with. Something my mother taught me at a young age was that if you dont have something nice to say, dont say anything at all.
      I'd take that into consideration the next time you comment on someone else's work.

      Delete
    2. Flavor combinations that surprise and excite the senses are absolutely "bougie" - my rule if thumb: if it sounds horribly outrageous then check in to it, because there is more to it than meets the eye! Live a little. Don't be so negative. It's not becoming.

      Delete
    3. Flavor combinations that surprise and excite the senses are absolutely "bougie" - my rule if thumb: if it sounds horribly outrageous then check in to it, because there is more to it than meets the eye! Live a little. Don't be so negative. It's not becoming.

      Delete
    4. I made the cupcakes last year for my son's 16th birthday and they came out perfect. He requested I make it in cake form this year for his 17th birthday which is today! I am using a bundt form pan and just playing around with the two icing colors and doritios. :)

      Delete
  4. All these recipes and not one orange! Apparently no one has read the ingredients on a can of Mountain Dew. Main citrus is concentrated orange juice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you're bummed out by the lack of orange, but maybe instead of criticizing me, you could just, I don't know....make your own with orange in it. Sheesh.

      Delete
  5. Did you use regular or instant pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perfect! I asked a coworker what his favorite cake was... He said a cake with Doritos!!! I found this! It will be perfect!!! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do my exam online provides you flexibility and security to the examination process

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails